Friday, August 14, 2009

Just in case you thought I took the summer off . . .
I used a Stampin' Up set called "Window on the World" to create this card. It's supposed to be a window looking out on the world but I made the window looking in. Guess it works either way . . .I seem to have a large collection of "time" stamps, embellishments, stickers, papers, etc. and I'm forever looking for ways to put them to good use. Actually, they're not the ONLY thing I have a lot of. Who doesn't love Mickey??? I embossed the stars on the background by hand . . . you'd never know that it took me FOREVER to do that! Nature-themed stamps work for a variety of occasions! I love Asian themes, most likely because I love reds, blacks, golds and bold designs. I created this one after watching a how-to video on http://www.rangerinks.com/ . . . Tim Holtz designs are awesome. It took me forever to find the "right word" for this little girl's facial expression. This piece of ephemera is from the "Heartwarming Vintage" collection . . . http://www.craftysecrets.com/ . . . I love their stuff!! Just your standard "birthday greeting" from Stampin' Up. Some people prefer simple . . . Another old OLD stamp set from Stampin' Up. So old that I was disappointed to discover that they don't include it in the SplitCoastStampers.com photo gallery! Bummer.
Another vintage card with hopefully many more to come . . . I love vintage!!
I HAD to have this sailboat stamp . . . I don't have very many "man-themed" stamps so when I see one that I like, I have to add it to my collection. I glued little glass beads to the water to give it some dimension.
I love this shade of blue. It's called Stampin' Up "Night of Navy." I spritzed Pearl-Ex powder on the background to make it shimmer.
I stamped this piece back when stamps were $.037!!! It's been sitting in my collection for a few years waiting for me to make it into a card. I guess I could call myself the "master of parts." I have a stockpile of card parts filed, categorzied and waiting to be made into something. I spend a lot more time making parts than I do cards! Some of those parts are TEN years old!! It takes less time to make parts and that's what I have most of . . . LESS time and MORE parts.
This Geisha stamp is one of the first stamps I purchased way back in about 1998 and it's still one of my favorites. I spritzed the blue/green/purple background with Pearl-Ex powders mixed with water.
Same Geisha stamp, different color theme, obviously. . . The 'waffle' paper was embossed in my CuttleBug and then spritzed with pink Pearl-Ex powder.
The pink strip of paper below was created with alcohol inks. I've found that they're a bit messy to play with but the results sooooooo cool. I usually create one huge mess by designing multiple backgrounds at a time and then I put it all away and don't use them for a year or two.
The hearts are one of my attempts to use UTEE (ultra-thick embossing something or other--can never remember that last word). It's an embossing powder that you apply in layers and melt to create a clear, thick surface on the paper. This card took me forever to create because I didn't know where I was going with the (parts) design and I'm still not all that enthused about it. The UTEE was used on the hearts. The photo frame was created with Ranger's distress crackle paint.
Another card created with a Stampin' Up Set . . . I found a GREAT card-making book at Big Lots in Elmira and this is one of the card designs from that book. I love browsing in their book section . . . all their books are $3 and $5. Can't pass up a craft book or how-to book at a bargain price!
This hobby is DEADLY--My greatest fear is that I'll turn into a hoarder like those people you see on TV . . . My Not-So Secret Obsession!! Considering the amount of inks, papers, stamps, embellishments, ephemera, punches, powders, fibers, storage containers, etc etc etc, I've accumulated, it wouldn't take you long to figure out that I'm a diehard stampaholic . . . I'm very organized which helps . . . but it all gets a bit overwhelming at times.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Barbara...your handmade cards are gorgeous!! I love every little detail!
    You are so creative and talented! I know what you mean about all the supplies you accumulate, same goes for me. I just love all of the beautiful papers, embellishments and anything vintage that I can use to create something with!
    Hugs, Carol Anne

    ReplyDelete